As April 15 approaches, people all over the country are starting to think about their taxes. One of the major decisions most individuals have to make regarding tax season is the question of how they will file: will they do it online through a tax assistance website, or will they hire a local accountant for help?
While online filing does certainly offer a degree of convenience, we believe that as an accountant in Jamestown, ND, we have a lot to offer our clients in terms of filing taxes the old fashioned way. Here are six reasons why you should hire an accountant in Jamestown, ND this tax season, rather than use an online tax service:
- Local knowledge: Each state, including North Dakota, comes with its own income and property tax laws. A website might be programmed to account for this, but it cannot offer the same kind of local expertise that a local accountant can. If you want to maximize your return without bending any local laws, trust a local accountant.
- In-person assistance: Modern technology has achieved a wide range of amazing feats, but sometimes there is simply no substitute for talking to a real person. Each taxpayer is different, meaning that you probably have a few highly specific questions that no website could adequately answer.
- Accountability: When you file your taxes through a faceless website, who can you blame when the IRS claims you filed incorrectly? Local accountants have a vested interest in ensuring your taxes are done perfectly, which is why they can be counted on for more accurate and reliable results.
- Consistency: Once you file your taxes with the same local accountant once or twice, they will start to remember your family situation, what you do for a living and whether you have any special deductions or other factors affecting your taxes. That is one perk that a website simply cannot offer, no matter how “smart” it might be.
- No hidden fees: Many tax filing websites try to lure in new customers by claiming that their service is free. Once you start filling out your taxes, however, you may soon find that some special factor—you’re a small business owner, for example, or you own more than one property—will require you to pay for the service. If you want transparent pricing, visit a local accountant in Jamestown, ND.
- Peace of mind: It goes without saying that tax websites probably utilize the best possible technology to assure privacy and security. That being said, nothing is 100 percent secure on the Internet, and once you click a button to file, you have no real way of knowing who will be able to access your information. Avoid this worry and gain some peace of mind by using a local accountant instead.
If you are looking for a consistent, reliable and experienced local accountant in Jamestown, ND for assistance this tax season, we hope you will get in touch with Craig S. Hanson, CPA soon.