As April’s tax filing deadline draws closer, have you decided you’d like to work with a tax services professional? If you’ve never worked with this type of expert before, you might not be sure how to select the individual or company that is the right fit for you and that can best meet your needs.
As you research providers of tax preparation in Jamestown, ND, it’s helpful to find out answers to the following questions before you schedule your appointment for tax preparation assistance:
- Are you a qualified tax preparer under IRS regulations? The IRS requires that any tax preparation professional who is paid for their services have a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN). You also want to make sure that the professional you are researching belongs to a professional organization or association for their industry and regularly participates in continuing education.
- Have any complaints or disciplinary actions been brought against you? You can do some research to find out if any complaints about the preparer have been filed with the Better Business Bureau. Additionally, you can check with various state boards to learn about any disciplinary actions or licensure issues.
- Are you the right fit for my filing needs? You will be more likely to receive guidance and attention that is tailored to your tax filing situation if you work with a preparer who specializes in the area in question. For example, if you are a large business owner, it makes more sense to work with an expert who is well versed in that area than to work with a professional who focuses primarily on the tax filing process for individuals.
- What are all of the fees associated with the services I need? Ask about any costs associated with the work the professional performs so that you are aware of the total amount you’ll pay before you begin. You may find that the individual or company only charges a flat rate based on the work needed for your particular tax filing situation, but you can remove any guesswork by finding out this information in advance.
- Will I be able to be in touch with you before or after filing? If you have questions about filing your taxes during the tax preparation process, as well as before or after, you want an expert who is accessible and who indicates they will address any questions or concerns that may come up for you throughout the year.
- Will I be able to file electronically? If you’ve ever filed your taxes electronically, you know that it tends to result in faster processing of your return. If you’d like to file electronically, be sure this is an option offered by the tax services professional you’re considering working with.
When it comes time to make your appointment for help with tax preparation in Jamestown, ND, you want an expert you can trust and whose services make the most sense for your needs. Craig S. Hanson, CPA offers a wide variety of tax and accounting services, including preparation and e-filings for your individual, corporate or estate tax returns, tax planning and payroll services. To remove the stress from your tax season, give us a call today!