From coupon clipping to buy-one-get-one deals, it’s great to save a few bucks when you can. Oftentimes, this same mindset can carry over to tax preparation. The IRS doesn’t place any restrictions on who can file their own taxes. Plus, online tax filing programs have made it easier than ever to file on time before the April deadline.
But sometimes these programs just won’t cut it. Online filing websites are great if you have relatively simple finances, but they’re not designed to handle complex financial situations. Any mistakes that slip through the cracks can literally cost you both time and money. An experienced CPA can not only help minimize mistakes, but they can also help you find the best options and ways to decrease the amount of taxes you pay.
If any of the following situations apply to you, then it’s time to hire a professional CPA for tax services in Jamestown, ND:
- Your annual household income exceeds $200,000: One of the unfortunate side effects of a high income is an increased chance that you’ll be audited. Households with an annual income of $200,000 or more are incredibly likely to get a phone call from the IRS. Small mistakes could turn into a big nightmare involving an audit, so let a CPA take care of business instead.
- You own a business or are self-employed: Complicated forms and tax law can easily send any freelancer or business owner into a flurry of stress and confusion. Cross one item off of your to-do list by leaving tax prep to a professional CPA instead.
- You’re short on time: Don’t waste hours trying to navigate the online tax filing software. One of the biggest benefits of hiring a CPA is the major time savings. They know the ins and outs of filing taxes, so they can easily complete the same task that took you hours in practically no time. This way, you just have to organize the necessary documents, and they’ll do the rest.
- You’re planning to give or set aside funds: Are you already planning to set aside money for your children or grandchildren? What about establishing a college savings fund or creating a trust? While these may seem like simple financial transactions, they can make your taxes a nightmare. An accountant can help you get a better sense of your options before you make a decision.
- Previously missed deductions: Have you kicked yourself in the past for missing out on important tax deductions? A CPA is always on top of changes in tax law to ensure they never miss a potential deduction. A quality CPA will ask you a series of questions to determine any possible deductions you may have missed in the past.
Getting an early start on your taxes with the help of a CPA is one of the best way to ensure your tax prep goes smoothly. Contact the professionals at Craig S. Hanson, CPA for tax services in Jamestown, ND. We’ll help you get started on the road to a smoother tax experience!